My husband and I are about to embark on a drive from Denver to Los Angeles over 2 weeks. Here’s our Colorado to California southwest road trip itinerary! Each point on the map represents at least a one night stay, with a few extra nights in each of the major cities.
- Denver, Colorado
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado
- Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado
- Monument Valley, Utah
- Page, Arizona
- Grand Canyon, Arizona
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Los Angeles, California
- Start with some sightseeing in Denver. Be sure to see Larimer Square and the Colorado State Capitol.
- Drink craft beer at one of the city’s many microbreweries, such as Wynkoop Brewing or Ratio Beerworks.
- Drive out to Red Rocks Ampitheatre to experience this geologically formed, open-air amphitheater.
- Check out the Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave for a taste of the Wild West.
Colorado Springs, Great Sand Dunes NP, and Mesa Verde NP
- Drive south to Colorado Springs.
- Explore Garden of the Gods, where you can hike around amazing rock formations.
- Head south to Great Sand Dunes National Park to marvel at the massive dunes.
- Hike a half mile to see the hidden Zapata Falls.
- Go west to Mesa Verde National Park and see cliff dwellings where the Ancestral Pueblo people lived.
Monument Valley, Utah
- Check out the spot where 4 states meet at the Four Corners Monument.
- Drive into Utah via Monument Valley where you can see impressive rock formations.
- Hike the Wildcat Trail, a 3.3 mile easy hike which takes around 2 hours.
- Visit Goulding’s Trading Post Museum, a famous locale for Old West movies.
- Drive to the town of Page, Arizona, which sits just below the Utah border.
- Explore Antelope Canyon, a naturally beautiful slot canyon with deep orange-colored walls.
- Visiting the picturesque Horseshoe Bend for an amazing photo opportunity.
- Do a cruise on Lake Powell, the second largest man-made reservoir in the United States.
Grand Canyon, Arizona
- Drive towards Grand Canyon Village (South Rim).
- Stop in at a few vistas along the way, such as the Desert View Watchtower and Mather Point.
- Get some exercise by walking the South Rim Trail, a 7 mile flat hike from Grand Canyon Village.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, do a helicopter tour which will give you the best views of the canyon.
Las Vegas, Nevada
- Drive to Las Vegas, stopping in at Hoover Dam on the way.
- Take a photo in front of the Welcome to Las Vegas sign.
- Watch the fountains do their thing at The Bellagio.
- See one of the many shows that frequent Las Vegas, like the Blue Man Group or Cirque du Soleil.
- Do some non-casino activities, like the Neon Museum or the Pinball Hall of Fame.
Los Angeles, California
- Check out the Hollywood sign and the spread of city lights from Griffith Observatory after sunset.
- Throw a theme park day at Disneyland.
- Do the tram tour at Universal Studios to see the sets where movies and TV shows are made.
- Spend an afternoon in Hollywood seeing the Walk of Fame and Chinese Theatre.
- Do a movie star homes tour to see where the rich and famous live.
- Walk along the Venice Boardwalk and take a trip on the ferris wheel on Santa Monica Pier.