There’s nothing like hitting the road down south. This itinerary will give you a look at everything from ‘gators and swamps to rockin’ music scenes and city nightlife. Here’s an epic southern road trip itinerary from Florida to Texas!
- Miami, Florida
- St Petersburg, Florida
- Tallahassee, Florida
- Mobile, Alabama
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Lafayette, Louisiana
- Houston, Texas
- Austin, Texas
Miami to St Petersburg
- Start in Miami. Hit up the famous South Beach, Little Havana, the Art Deco District, and Wynwood Walls.
- Drive west through the Everglades to see some ‘gators. Be sure to do an Airboat Tour, and stop in at the Shark Valley Observatory Tower.
- Finish the day at St Petersburg. Spend the evening checking out St Pete’s Beach and the famous Loews Don CeSar Hotel.
St Petersburg to Tallahassee
- Before leaving St Petersburg, do the Sunken Gardens and Tampa Riverwalk.
- On the way north, stop in at Devils Den Spring to snorkel or dive.
- Once you get to Tallahassee, spend some time exploring the Historic Capitol Museum and Capitol Observatory, Maclay Gardens State Park, Governor’s Mansion, and Museum of Florida History.
Tallahassee to Mobile
- On the drive out of Tallahassee, stop in at Wakulla Springs State Park to get your nature fix.
- Head west to Mobile, Alabama. Be sure to visit Dauphin Street and the Battleship USS Alabama. If you’ve got time, take a tour out to Middle Bay Lighthouse and also check out the Audubon Bird Sanctuary on Dauphin Island.
Mobile to New Orleans
- Take Highway 90 along the coast of Mississippi and Louisiana to spot some of the famous stilt houses.
- Stop in at Biloxi to walk along the pier and check out the beach.
- Explore New Orleans, and make sure you visit Frenchmen Street, Bourbon Street, and the French Quarter. Be sure to eat a po-boy while you’re in NOLA.
New Orleans to Lafayette
Lafayette to Houston
- Check out the Acadian Cultural Center, Vermillionville Historic Village, and take a boat tour to Atchafalaya Basin.
- Visit Avery Island. Explore the Tabasco factory, and take a walk through the wildlife and bird sanctuary.
- Once you arrive in Houston, head to the Art Car Museum, Beer Can House, and Waterwall Park. You could even see a rodeo at the Houston Livestock Show.
Houston to Austin
- Get the full weird and wacky Austin experience by heading to the Museum of Weird.
- Admire public art at the Cathedral of Junk and HOPE outdoor gallery.
- Get snap happy at the Texas Capitol Building.